A patent is an exclusive right granted for an invention, which is a product or a process that provides a new way of doing something, or offers a new technical solution to a problem. A utility innovation is an exclusive right granted for a “minor” invention which does not require to satisfy the test of inventiveness as required of a patent.
- New, which means that the invention has not been publicly disclosed in any form, anywhere in the world;
- Involve an inventive step, that is to say the invention must not be obvious to someone with knowledge and experience in the technological field of the invention; and
- Industrially applicable, meaning it can be mass produced.
- Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
- Plant or animal varieties or essentially biological processes for the production of plants or animals, other than man-made living micro- organisms, micro-biological processes and the products of such micro-organism processes;
- Schemes, rules or methods for doing business, performing purely mental acts or playing games;
- Methods for the treatment of human or animal body by surgery or therapy, and diagnostic methods practiced on the human or animal body.
Importance of Patent Registration
- To exploit the patented invention
- To assign or transmit the patent
- To conclude license contracts
Duration of Patent
- A patent is protected 20 years from the date of filing.
Duration of Utility Innovation
- A utility innovation is protected 10 + 5 + 5 years from the date of filing subject to use.